Message for the foreigners living in Egypt : Egypt IS NOT Mahraganat (مهرجانات) only

source: egyptianetreets.com 


I got trapped in this app called TikTok, as most of us do, and as I am located in Egypt they keep showing me local videos or foreigners living here making videos about Egyptian lifestyle through foreigner eyes. All great, I love it when they bring something new, something fresh about how is life going being in Egypt. 

However, there is a trend going around about showing what Egyptian songs you know. I got sad, first, then I reached the limit of feeling disgusted of how the foreigners do not really know much about artistic and cultural part of Egypt. That is more sad when these foreigners are living in Egypt for many years, they are not here since a month ago, and moreover there are women foreigners married to Egyptian men. 

So I have a question for these men: what do you teach or show to your wives/girlfriends/  or friends in general about your country. It's sad to see how they jump and shake their a** when they hear shabby music, but they do not know any quality music, any artists, And I do not mean to let them know who is Omar Khairat, but at least to know who is … Amr Diab for example; to not know who is Om Khaltoum, but to know who is Sherine at least. I know the mahraganat sounds good, but it does NOT represent Egypt. 

As Egyptian you are responsible for what the foreigner next to you learn about the country. They have you as the first connection and initiator in the culture and civilization of your country. 

I am not Egyptian, I am foreigner too. I am trying to learn a little bit from everything. I know what means shabby and I know what means quality music; I watch Mohamed Ramadan's series and also I watch Yassin Ismail Yassin's movies; I watch shabby video clips, but also I know most of the plays and movies of Adel Imam or Samir Ghanem. 

All do you know how I have learned all these? Because I have beside me that Egyptian man and other Egyptian friends who showed me all these, who opened my eyes for every part of what means Egypt. These people are the real ambassadors of Egypt. 

You as an Egyptian citizen, you are the ambassador you your country. You might not love it, but do not make the other to hate it. Maybe someone out there will find gorgeous and beautiful those thing you hate. 

This country made me feel so proud like no other country did. I belong to a continent that many Egyptians see it as the promise land...but I promise you I won't give Egypt for any other continent or country. 

So for the foreigners living in Egypt - use the voice you are creating though social media so show the real Egypt. Of course it has its good and its bad parts...but even the Egyptian themselves they need to hear what a great country they have. So you learn about it and tell them. 

Comments